Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Outward Appearances

Outward Appearances

1 Samuel 16:7
But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

I don't know about you, but I am glad the LORD does not judge me by my looks. One glance at my profile pic could mean a world of hurt for me. But the LORD does not look on the external things like we do. He looks at the heart.

We see that over and over again in scripture. In fact when the Nation of Israel was chosen as God's very own people, he said to them in Deuteronomy 7:7 "The LORD did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples." So it is clear that God does not take into account what the world calls great of good, but rather, by His own gracious choice.

We on the other hand, because we are human and fallible, often choose wrongly. It is in those times where we can learn the most. Not only about ourselves and our way of thinking but about others and what makes them precious. Probably most importantly, we get a glimpse of how God does it.

If we are diligent to realize we are flawed and that we need the help of the LORD to really see, we can take this opportunity to pray and ask Him for the true Eyes that only He can give.

So here is my prayer for all of us today:

Father, I ask in Jesus' name that you would help us all to see with Your eyes. May we not look at the outward appearances of people from this time forward, but may we look at their heart, their motives and their spirit. Help us to discern as you do. Above all Lord, we ask that we see people through Your LOVE and may you work in us to change us into the people you want us to be.

Amen.

Blessings All!

--EDL

2 comments:

  1. I am also glad that HE looks on the heart! looking at the heart is the truth of appearance...and you my friend are Beautiful!!! love ya brother, Darla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your words. I can "see" your spirit
    behind each word you say. It is sweet and full of compassion. Just like Jesus :)
    I long to have His eyes to see. To know others
    and to know me. It is there where we find pure identity. We are free to see and love the way He does :)

    ReplyDelete