Sunday, January 23, 2011

Show No Favortisim

Show No Favoritism

Galatians 2:6 As for those who were held in high esteem—whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not show favoritism—they added nothing to my message.

As I read Paul's writings, I do get the impression that he was not the easiest person with which to get along.  This verse along with some others seem to confirm that suspicion. And then I am struck with the inevitable reality that we probably are much more reasonable and much easier to get a long with.  We are not so argumentative or brash and I wonder if that is right or wrong.

In our society today, you will be branded, labeled if you will, by others as being think-headed, stubborn, prejudiced, racist, homophobic, narrow-minded, simple, minded, stupid, ignorant, unreasonable and just plain wrong, if you disagree with them.  Who wants to be labeled as that?  Apparently Paul had no problem with that. Why? Because he was absolutely convinced that he was preaching the truth and that truth was the difference between eternal live and eternal death. Then I ask myself, "Is that really how we are today?"


Why wouldn't we be? Why shouldn't we be?  If the difference truly is the difference between life and death, and we really, truly believe that with all our heart, then I submit to you, more people should not like us.  More people ought to be calling us names and spitting in our faces.  If we truly are communicating the Gospel message, then where is the hate?  Where is the opposition? Where is the name calling in our lives?

The big thing now a days is tolerance. Not tolerance for differences of opinion, but tolerance of sin.  Sin is bad.  It is the thing that separates us from God.  If sin did not exist, we would not have any problems at all.  It is all because of sin that we need to sometimes be harsh in our communication of the Gospel message.  'Nice' just does not cut it all the time.

A balance? Absolutely!  But if I were to err, I must err toward the Truth as I see it in Scripture. Everybody who is searching for the truth, has a right to hear it.  I believe the truth of the Biblical message.  I believe in the truth of the Gospel and I believe in Jesus Christ and the forgiveness of sins and life everlasting.

How about you? Are you communicating the truth of God's Word?  Are you really communicating the Gospel message?  And oh...how many friends do you have that aren't Christian? How many names have you been called? Hmmmm?

Blessings All!

--El

No comments:

Post a Comment