Friday, June 15, 2012

A Marriage Made in Heaven






It was Saturday June 14th, 1975. Flag day. There was a band outside the church starting the procession through the main street of the town. They started with playing 'Taps' and the sound echoed throughout the church as the wedding began. I thought, "I hope this is not a portent of things to come." But as I looked, I had never seen someone so beautiful as my lovely bride as she was led down the center isle by her dad. We smiled, took hands and turned to the minister for instructions.

The service began and all of a sudden, from outside, came the Boom! Boom! Boom! of the base drums as the high school band started playing '76 Trombones'...and off they went. The Priest stated, "I have never had my sermon drowned out before and it will not happen now!" I had my doubts. The sound was loud. But as the band started marching down the street in became softer and softer. The church became quiet once more. The Priest had us kneel and then after a while he motioned for us to get up. Since I have ADD I was not really paying much attention and my bride stood up before me, which would have been OK if I was not kneeling on her wedding gown, which promptly ripped and everyone heard the sickening sound. 'Rrrrrrriiiiipppp!!!' echoed in the church which just moments before had been filled with the noise of drums and trombones and trumpets. I quickly got up because my bride was by then, shooting me with her eyes in an unapproving way.

After the ceremony we went back to her parent's house for the reception. Her family, being Italian-American (much more Italian than you could ever imagine) had things set up in a way where I was brought before the whole community and given the once-over by the Patriarch and Matriarch of the lot. I ended up kissing their hands and cheeks. My self-esteem floating away in the processes. Feeling quite doomed by this point and I remember just how much I wanted to get out of there.

But as it turned out, my wife and I have had a lovely and exciting life together and I am looking forward to many more exciting years with her. She really is the spice in my life and I love her with all my heart. We have remarked at times that this is a marriage which was made in heaven. After all, if it was made any where else, it probably would not have lasted as long, would it?

Jesus has planned a Marriage for us all as well. One that is certainly made in Heaven and one that will last for eternity! We read about it in Revelations 19. The Marriage Supper of the Lamb. I look forward to that day when the believers are united with their true husband. The thought here is that this is ordained by God, it is initiated by God and it is for eternity! What a wonderful time this will be!

My question to you is, "Are you invited?" How do you know?  This marriage feast is by invitation only.  I am inviting you right now!  All that you need to do is accept Jesus as your Savior and Lord. Think about it. There is no better time.  If you do decide to accept Jesus, then you too will be united with Him in heaven for eternity.  Certainly, a Marriage made in Heaven!

Blessings All!

No comments:

Post a Comment