Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I'm Crucified

I'm Crucified

Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

This is one of my favorite verses in Galatians.  In it Paul gives the reason for his existence and why he is so zealous for the Lord. Let's look at it piece by piece.

1.  I have been crucified with Christ... 
Just like the thief on the cross next to Jesus, Paul states that he has been crucified with Christ. His flesh is dead; the old man is dead. Long live the new man. Why was Paul crucified to begin with? Being an adherent to the Law of Moses doomed him. When he realized the true reason for the Law, this set in motion a series of realizations which concluded with his condemnation.  You see, no matter how pure Paul was, it wasn't enough. No matter how much he followed the Law, it wasn't enough. There was no way for Paul to achieve absolute righteousness that the Lord required. But the good news? Christ was crucified for our sins!

2. ...and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.
A great truth made even greater by the fact that Christ died for us and we must also die. Jesus said in John 12:24 "Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds." Jesus died on the cross. Paul died to sin and shame.  He was born again of the Spirit of God and new life breathed into his sinful bones. Literally, Christ living in us is what sustains our lives as Spiritual Beings.  I've heard it said we are not human beings on a spiritual journey, we are spiritual beings on a human journey.  In order for us to be the kind of spiritual beings that the Lord wants us to be, we MUST...again I say, MUST have the Spirit of the Lord living in us.  We can only do that if we die and are born again from the Spirit.  There is no other way according to God's Word...and that comes by means of and through Jesus, and Jesus alone. John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

3. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." John 15:13 What can be our response to such a love? What should be our response? Paul stated that he no longer lives his former life, a new life has been granted by virtue of the Holy Spirit. The life that he now has in the Spirit is sustained and made possible by faith in Jesus.  Since Jesus loved him and gave himself on the cross for Him, his life belongs to Him and he gladly uses it for His glory. 

My friend, what about you? Have you been crucified with Christ? Are you sustained by the Holy Spirit of God? Please, please, please...if you have not made a decision on following the Lord Jesus, make one today. Don't wait for tomorrow or next week: 2 Corinthians 6:2 For he says, “In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.” I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation.

Make Jesus yours today!

Blessings all!

--El

1 comment: